Our Projects team aims to be at the forefront of providing legal services to key project implementers in Energy, Engineering & Construction, Infrastructure, Transport, Mining & Metals and Public Private Partnerships.
Our experience includes:
- Advising the sponsor of a proposed 500MW hydropower plant including preparing the initial draft of the concession contract for the construction and operation of a multipurpose dam and power plant for negotiation with the contracting Government of Kenya authority, negotiating a 25 year power purchase agreement in respect of the power plant with the off-taker (Kenya Power) and advising on other legal and regulatory matters involving land rights, land resettlement matters, permits and licences, advising on supply contracts, existing EPC arrangements, transmission line erection and operation and maintenance arrangements;
- Acted as local counsel to the Kenya National Highways Authority for the feasibility study of a proposed PPP for operation and maintenance of the Nairobi Southern Bypass;
- Representing the EPC contractor for the Iraru (1.5MW) small hydropower project (SHP) in its ultimately successful bid to KTDA Power Company Limited, the IPP for a SHP on the Iraru River, Meru County, Kenya;
- Advising one of the co-developers of a 35MW geothermal power project situated in Menengai, Kenya;
- Advising the sponsor of a proposed phased 300 MW wind power project including all legal and regulatory matters on land and sitting considerations, on-boarding joint development partners and shall participate in the negotiation of the PPA with the off taker and the Government of Kenya and obtain all necessary permits and approvals. We shall also assist the sponsor in negotiations relating to the EPC arrangements, all supply contracts, operations and maintenance and transmission line construction;
- Advised one of the bidders for the Kenya-Uganda Pipeline Extension Project, structured as a 20-year private public partnership on a BOT basis to be granted by the Kenya and Uganda Governments;
- Advised one of the sub- contractors involved in the construction of a concentrator and mineral separation plant in Kwale, Kenya;
- Advised Simba Energy Limited in its bid and negotiations of a BOOT contract with Kenya Power for the construction of a 80-90 MW diesel power plant in Kenya;
- Advised an engineering firm in a turn-key construction contract and subcontracts for the supply of civil works for sites in Rwanda for TIGO Rwanda S.A, the third mobile operator in Rwanda;
- Advised a private investor in a 100MW Wind Power Project, advising on all legal and regulatory aspects of the power project, including negotiations with financiers, contractors and strategic investors;
- Advising a sub‐contractor in reviewing a preliminary works agreement in respect of the construction of a gas distribution system.